Monday, September 7, 2009

Effective communication by using English.-waiying


Today I have learn some new things from newspapers,I think it is very useful for our communication,grammar and so on.I would like to share with you what I’m learn.

Check it out!
Vendor : Check it out! I have got the latest styles of handbags.
Customers: They are nice.
Vendor : These styles have even been advertised in fashion magazines.
Customers:I guess it wouldn’t hurt to take a closer look at a few of them.
Vendor : It is best to buy it now. My stock won’t last long.

My stock won’t last long
1. These are selling like hot cakes
2. They are flying off the shelves

Check..out
-to test or to have a look.
Gary : Is that movie good?
Beth : Why don’t you check it out yourself?

It won’t/doesn’t hurt to
It doesn’t hurt to compliment your son sometimes.

Compliment=praise


Cry Wolf

Paul:Watch out! I think the teacher saw you sending text messages during class.
Jenny : Are you serious?He is gonna kill me !
Paul: Oh,I’m just kidding. He was not even looking

Watch out
- to be careful
Watct out for the carst!
Watch out! The police are coming!
Watch out! A fierce dog is dashing toward you.

Cry wolf
- a counterfeit/untrue messages
The authorities warned that there might be another terrorist attack but most people thought they were just crying wolf.

Gonna-going to
When are you gonna give my money back?



You Can Lead a Horse to Water, but You Can’t Make Him Drink
Anne : Did you have fun at the dance?
Tricia : Not really because I Couldn’t get Steve to dance with me ! He is so stubborn.
Anne : Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.I guess you are not his type.

you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink
-cannot force somebody to do some things that he/she hate.

Stubborn
-Obstinate, or unwilling to yield, obey
He is stubborn as a donkey.




Waiying831

1 comment: